5.3.12

Sicky

Usually when I don't update for several days, it's because I'm off doing something exciting. Unfortunately, my recent absence is due largely to the opposite. I've been sick. I'd been feeling really tired all last week, and by Thursday night I was pretty sure I was coming down with something. That night I went out for pho, which felt like a big accomplishment because, believe it or not, it was the first time I've gone out to eat alone in Ben Tre. Usually, if I'm alone, I just get takeout and eat back in my room. But, I wanted pho and I go there often enough that I felt like I would feel safe enough even though when I go at night I usually see leery groups of men. It was a successful accomplishment and I found out that one of my students works there, part time. Though the pho was good, it wasn't magical, and I spent the next several days in bed.

Conveniently, the next several days were Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, during which I had no obligations. It wasn't until today, Monday, that being sick interfered with any obligations. In what any ETA will tell you is a miracle of immense proportion, I managed to sleep in until 11, uninterrupted, for the last four days in a row, even before I had told anyone that I was sick. I literally have not gone outside since Friday. I slept through most of Saturday, and Trang brought me chicken soup for dinner and and instant chicken soup for me to make later. Yesterday, in addition to being sick, I had no power or water until nightfall. I spent the day alternating between reading, trying to nap, and being utterly bored, sweating throughout the day. Trang's sister brought me more soup in the afternoon. Today I feel better but still have no voice and could still use some rest, which is why I'm not teaching.

"the best tasteful instant bean thread soup" is actually chicken soup with rice noodles

What kind of sick was I, you may ask. I will tell you: a very strange kind. I never had a fever. I never had a cough - or maybe I did but the fact that I had almost no occasion to talk during 72 hours kept the coughing to a minimum. I had fatigue and extreme body ache and I lost my voice. But the fatigue and body ache were enough that sitting up for over an hour was overwhelmingly exhausting, and my body hurt even when I was laying down. I noticed that I generally felt better after eating, but getting up to make food was so tiring that it felt like a trade off. I was very fortunate to have all of my caring food deliveries. So, for now, I'm feeling better but still voiceless.

1 comment:

  1. This makes me so, so sad. I was away all of last week, with barely any access to the net, while you were in my thoughts a lot. :-(
    Are you sure this is just like a cold? I know you know what would come "outta ma mouth" next so I will not say it.
    Loving you, dad

    ReplyDelete