1.6.12

Tearless

"Remember me and smile, for it's better to forget than to remember me and cry."
I left Ben Tre on May 26. A cohort of seven people, including teachers, administrators, students, and local officials accompanied me on the two hour drive to the airport and then sat with me to wait for the two or three hours until it was time for me to go to the gate. I had been close to tears a few times in the morning on the way back from a last breakfast with Trang, but I had kept it in at that time. Maybe because I tried to swallow them then, my eyes stayed dry for the rest of the day. We were driving away from Ben Tre and halfway across the bridge into the next province when I realized that Ben Tre was literally and figuratively behind me. I turned around for one last view of the palm-covered island that I called home for nine months. It was a moment.

I met Violet and her respective cohort at the airport. When the time came to say goodbye, Trang told me to 'just go.' I thought she was trying to help me not cry, but when I hugged her I realized that she was the one trying not to cry. I had been feeling like there weren't any goodbye gifts that could begin to show my love and appreciation for her, but I was struck with a last-minute inspiration and gave her the lucky two-dollar bill I found before I came to Vietnam and told her the story behind it.

My caravan

Saying goodbye to the 'big woman in a blue suit', as she described herself before
picking me up at the same airport nine months ago

The next several days in Hanoi passed in a blur. ETAs filtered in and we looked for a balance between last Vietnamese experiences and transitional western meals. We went to a soccer game, which was something I had wanted to do since arriving in Vietnam. The stadium was pretty empty, but the fans of the visiting team waved flags, banged drums, honked horns, and reminded me of Italy. Hanoi (in blue) won 3-2 with a last-second goal.


Opposing fans

We had a short and sweet concluding conference and lots of farewell functions and before we knew it our term as Fulbrighters was officially over. People trickled away. Some are home already; some of us are still traveling. On the 31st Violet and I took an overnight train and we are now in Sa Pa, the last place on my must-see list in Vietnam. When I get back to Hanoi on the 4th, it will be to commence my month of Southeast Asian adventures. I'll try to keep you informed.

1 comment:

  1. And now it is me who is holding back tears, as you have taken me, and your readers, on such a wonderful journey.
    Interestingly, when you described how Ben Tre was figuratively behind you, I, in my usual misreading, read fugitively, which I felt was a brilliant metaphor.
    Loving you,
    Daddio

    ReplyDelete