8.12.11

The last day

I conversed in Vietnamese last night's dream. It may have only been the standard, daily Vietnamese, but it was something.

This afternoon I taught my last class of the semester. Before getting into the lesson, I passed out an evaluation form. One side was for students to evaluate me, and one was for them to evaluate themselves. I'm still going through the forms, but I was pleased that they took time to answer thoughtfully. Just from the few I've read, I'm starting to get good insights about what worked, what didn't, and what's really the reason for people not raising their hands. This will help me meet their needs better, and hopefully give me a good starting point for setting goals with them for next semester. After they finished the evaluations we played a review game I took straight out of my Hanoi Vietnamese teacher's playbook. I put them in teams and gave them three minutes to write down words related to a certain topic we had studied (e.g. transportation, shopping, etc.). One representative from each team came to the board and wrote down all of their words. They got points for each word that was spelled correctly and was relevant to the category. I think they really enjoyed it, and were impressed with themselves when they saw just how many words they would come up with. I hope it was a good reminder that they know more than they think they do.

I'm going to Dalat tomorrow for the Fulbright mid-year conference, and I'll be there until Wednesday. The conference doesn't start until Monday, so I'll have some time for adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment