31.1.12

Uneventful

This morning I had my Vietnamese lesson with Trang. I have very mixed feelings about learning Vietnamese. I came into this with high hopes of learning the language. Upon arrival I had a two-week crash course in 'survival Vietnamese'. Then I had two weeks off. Then I got to Ben Tre and spent about two more weeks reviewing the same survival Vietnamese. Then Morena got here and I had a handful of lessons the whole time she was here. Then I had two hectic months with frequent enough interruptions to normalcy that Vietnamese classes fell by the wayside. So, here I am, officially six months in, barely knowing more Vietnamese than I did two weeks in. I admit, part of me feels like what's the point? How much can I really learn in the next four months? But I know this is a self-defeating attitude. I know that if I believe I can learn Vietnamese I will be more willing to invest my time and energy to learn more, and therefore will be more likely to learn more. So I'm trying. Trying to try, anyway.

The rest of the day was generally uneventful. My biggest accomplishment was the fact that since I lesson planned over the weekend I was able to get my printouts and photocopies made for tomorrow today, rather than 10 minutes before the start of class, like I usually do.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ms. Tough Guy! In the words that made the Houston Rockets famous: Believe It!
    You could not play detective Callahan in my movies if you were not tough enough to learn Vietnamese in four months :)
    Love you Tufi Toughie
    Dad

    ReplyDelete