1.1.12

New year, new wisdom

"Today 3 people asked me about U. I gave them your details and contact. They'll be finding U soon. Their names are Happiness, Health and Love ... HAPPY NEW YEAR!"
- text message I received from one of my students today.

Happy new year, indeed! I can't believe I'm officially halfway through my term in Vietnam. I've definitely had the first and the third visitors in recent days, but I think she might have given Health the wrong number. I am currently in HCMC, using a borrowed computer, and will be staying a little longer than planned, so lengthy recounting of adventures will have to wait a few more days.

Some days ago I started having a bit of a toothache. I decided to get that checked out today after Elliot left (I also reasoned that, should I be crying, a dentist's office would not be a completely unreasonable place to do that, but I wasn't.) The dentist took one look at my mouth and knew exactly what the problem was -- a wisdom tooth is coming in (coming out?). It is already poking through my gums. As far as I knew, I didn't even have any wisdom teeth, but I guess I'll be adding oral surgery to the list of  unexpected experiences that comprise my Vietnam experience at large. Rest assured, this is the nicest, fanciest dental clinic I've ever been to.

Here's hoping that my year is more like the text and less like how it has started off. As for you, you can probably look forward to some photos of me looking like a chipmunk.

1 comment:

  1. :-(
    I wish I was there to hold your hand and feedyou some frozen fruit delights in the post surgery events. I will call you shortly.
    Love,
    Daddy

    ReplyDelete