24.11.11

Mom + Vietnam: Corner of Heaven

Happy thanksgiving!

Originally, my mom and I were going to go on a river tour today. However, at the monthly schedule meeting, Trang decided that we should spend the morning at her parents' house and feast on her mother's bánh xèo. I had been there when I first arrived in Ben Tre, back when my camera wasn't working. A few days ago my mom asked me where was my favorite place in Vietnam, and it was the first thing that came to mind. So, I was more than happy with this change of plans.  

On the way there

We were a five-motorcycle caravan of women, and our first stop was an orchid farm just around the corner from the house. Trang had forgotten about its existence, though it is owned by her favorite cousin. Upon arrival I discovered that my battery was on its last legs, but thankfully it still had enough juice to get me through the whole morning, albeit with slightly more judicious camera use than usual.

A pot of one of these now brightens up my bathroom


I had a Georgia O'Keeffe moment

Naturally, I went looking for spiders, and delighted in my success.
Just around the bend was the muddy unpaved path to her parents' house. We were greeted by a big-screen viewing of my karaoke contest performance.


Cooking was already underway when we arrived, but my mom got to try her hand at making a bánh xèo. Oil, pork, and shrimp went into the wok first. Then the rice flour and coconut milk mixture, then the filling of soy sprouts and cassava. When the thin thin thin 'pancake' (literal translation of bánh) was ready, it was time to fold it over and slide it onto a plate.

This was just the first few of many plates that made their way to the table

 To eat it, we tore off pieces of piping hot bánh xèo, wrapped it in lettuces and herbs, and then dipped it in fish sauce. I remembered that it was incredible, and today's reality did not fail to meet my memory's expectations. My mom dubbed it her favorite Vietnamese dish. We concluded the meal with coconut water and pomelos.


Lastly, my mom convinced Trang's dad to serenade us. He started singing Cuando, Cuando, Cuando, and gradually everyone joined in, even if it was just for the chorus. Then, altogether too early, it was time to go. But I was thankful: thankful for my mom, thankful for the family I was welcomed into, thankful for the company and friendship of my fellow English teachers, thankful for a memorable thanksgiving, thankful for this slice of life that I have been blessed with. Our goodbye was received with a request to come back soon, and that's a request I will be only too happy to fulfill.


The whole group and a great house

We spent the afternoon resting off our big lunch, which, by the way, started around 9am. Later, Trang came by to say goodbye, since she'll be at a conference until after Mom leaves. In the evening, Mom and I paid a visit to Anh Thư, aka Pajama Mamma. She is a spoonful of sugar in my Vietnam experience thus far, and someone for whom I am also very thankful. We had a nice, long, surprisingly fluid chat; and Mom ended up with some new pajamas. Then, we tried to go to bed early before our weekend trip to Hanoi.

But not without meeting a (relatively small) visitor first.

No comments:

Post a Comment