3.10.11

Rainy season afternoon

Good morning to you, too.

I had no obligations today and it was the perfect rainy afternoon. Perfect because I had nowhere to be and plenty to do. I got three out of four lesson plans completed and stayed cozy and dry while I listened to the percussive precipitation outside.

By the time dinner rolled around though, it was still oscillating between rain and trickle, and certainly not dry. Morena and I went to a new place for dinner, and I upped my chili pepper ante: 3 slices this time. I could feel it, but I think next time I'll go for five. I remember talking to a friend about spicy food before I came. I just didn't understand the point. People always talk about how good spicy food also has flavor, not just burn, but all I had ever felt was the burn. I still don't know if I can say that spicy food enters into some other realm of enhanced flavor, but it adds another layer to the experience, and it is a layer I am coming to appreciate. We went for a corn on the cob afterward, and I was very proud of myself for remembering the words for it and ordering successfully.

Proof


At 815 we were supposed to meet with my students to go out for yogurt, but we were debating whether or not we wanted to go back out into the rain. We hung out in my room for a while and had a nice chat. An and I bonded by sharing stories about our respective boyfriends, while everyone else giggled. Eventually we decided to go ahead and get some yogurt, especially since they told us that the place is literally across the street from the school. It turned out to just be the convenience store I go to, which has a couple of freezers full of yogurt. (Side note: Today on the way back from lunch, I bought yogurt for my week's breakfasts today at another convenience store, and the woman seemed to think it was very odd that I was buying six. Now that I realize that people usually buy one and eat it there, I understand why she thought I was so strange.) I decided to try something new, and I am pretty sure I ended up getting aloe flavored yogurt. Significantly better than it sounds.

This guy has been in the corner for hours. For a while I thought he was a
rock. Who knows how, why, or when he got in.

2 comments:

  1. I tried to leave a message yesterday. For some reason I could not get the comment box. So, here is a bit. The beginning of the entry reminded me of the time when you were a baby, sitting in the shopping cart,and read the word 'ice', marking the beginning of your English reading career. [ side note for you. Here is a new one from my recent trip: "Hay alfalfa sale" ]
    glad to see the expansion of the entomofauna collection. The frog was indeed cryptic.
    I am also hoping that you are taking notes, and lessons, on how to be a good manager. I know that you are a good teacher already, and now are just taking time to acquire and refund those skills.
    with love,
    Papa

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS 2
    I am giving tumble another shot. What an awesome set of photos you Have!

    ReplyDelete